So many people, so many tastes. This applies to every aspect of our life, from fitness and clothing to home décor and food preferences. Collecting is no exception. Fine paintings, antiquities, coins, manuscripts, comic books, stamps, antique furniture, sports memorabilia, jewelry, and wines are just some of the items that people love to collect. Porcelain dolls are also quite popular collectibles these days. It is, however, important to note that not every porcelain doll is worth buying, and not all of them are valuable. So what determines the value of a porcelain doll?
What Determines the Value of Porcelain Dolls?
The value of antique porcelain dolls usually depends on the following five factors.
1. Repairs and restoration. A porcelain doll in original condition is always more valuable than a doll that has had some restoration work done, so always check whether any repairs have been made.
2. Smudges and chips. Even small chips can greatly reduce the value of a doll. The same applies to smudges and traces of wear and tear.
3. Overall condition. The better the overall condition of your porcelain doll, the higher its value. While it is hard to find antique dolls in perfect original condition, there are still good items in mint and even perfect mint condition.
4. Manufacturer. Manufacturer’s stamps and markings indicating the year of production can make it much easier to determine the value of a porcelain doll, so always look for them on a doll.
5. Markers. If it is impossible to determine the manufacturer, try to find any other markers or numbers from the porcelain molds on your doll. They can also help identify the item and its value.
All this information can help you determine the value of porcelain dolls, but it is still recommended that you turn to a professional art appraiser who has experience in this field.