You have probably noticed that more and more people today prefer antique furniture pieces in addition to trendy and modern ones or even instead of them. There is actually nothing surprising about this as things imbued with the spirit of time and history can adorn any home. Moreover, such items that are also considered fine art objects were made by hand, and, therefore, each of them is truly unique. In this way, these new home decor trends are easy to understand. However, the question is how to find attention-worthy antiques? Take advantage of the following tips on choosing vintage furniture!
As practice shows, the richest selection of antique objects is in France, UK, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, and Denmark. What’s more, today you can even find special tours, the primary purpose of which is searching and purchasing antiques. However, if you do not intend to go anywhere, the World Wide Web will offer you no less refined options of vintage furniture and home decor, and Fine Art Shippers will help you with local or international transportation of any of your treasured purchases. Nevertheless, if you want to see the best of vintage furniture and decor, speak to unusual sellers, and get useful contacts, you need to visit the antique fair or one of the antique stores.
So, you have found something to your liking, but still in doubt? Just make the following:
1. Take a closer look. Move the object away from the wall and any other objects so that you could assess all its sides and the bottom. Try to do this in bright light or, at least, take a flashlight when going to the antique store.
2. Make sure that the object is serviceable. For example, if you are buying a chair, sit down on it and lean back. Thus, a wobbly chair that moves with your body requires additional restoration works.
3. Weigh your decision, both literally and figuratively. If it is possible, try to raise the item. The heavy weight is a sign that the object was well-designed and made of solid, noble wood (refers to antique wooden furniture).
4. Look at the signs of age. Are there natural traces of use on the surface? Antique furniture cannot look absolutely like new – there may be some cracks, abrasion of the finish, signs of wear, etc. If you do not see any traces of time, it may indicate that the item is not old or that it has been restored, which can reduce the value of the object.
5. Look at the texture of wooden furniture. If it is interesting and rich, it means that the item is really expensive and can become a good investment.
6. Look closely at the coating. The color should be uniform, except for those parts that are used every day. Some scratches and stains are accepted.
7. Is everything in its place? Look at the broken or missing pieces of veneer, or parts of another color – it means that the veneer was poorly glued or changed. Make sure that decorative inlay and carving are also intact.
8. Explore the drawers. They have to move effortlessly and without wobbling.
9. Ask the seller whether any restoration works have been carried out. You need to know about them before buying the item.
10. Finally, when choosing vintage furniture, do not hesitate to ask for a second opinion. If you are not sure about the object and its cost, ask an expert or your friend who has more knowledge of antiques to appreciate your taste.