A diverse selection of famous artworks, from the 19th-century masterpieces to modern art paintings, was presented not so long ago at the American and European Fine Art Sale by Shapiro Auctions, which was held on May 16 in New York, at 506 East 74th Street. The sale featured multiple works in the various genres. We would like to mention just a few memorable paintings that have attracted our attention:
1. Gouache and pastel composition “Travailleurs des champs, Pontoise” by representative of the European Impressionist movement Camille Pissarro (est. $700,000-900,000, result $905,000);
2. Perfect sample of oil paintings by Ivan Konstantinovich Aivazovsky “A Calm Morning on the Sea” (est. $30,000-40,000, result $37,500);
3. Oil and canvas art work “Waterfall, Catskill, New York” by Jasper Francis Cropsey, member of the Hudson River School (est. $15,000-20,000, result $18,750);
4. The interior-set portrait “Elena” by the American realist painter Richard Maury (est. $15,000-20,000, result $30,000);
5. “The Wall,” one of the colorful, sun-drenched paintings by Nicola Simbari (est. $7,000-9,000, result $9,375);
6. The Russian Icon of Saint Nikita the Stylite of Pereslavl, 17th century (est. $4,000-6,000, result $10,000).
Needless to say that there were lots of other fine art pieces presented by Shapiro Auctions. Being a recommended auction shipping company, Fine Art Shippers took part in the organizational process and helped happy buyers transport their newly acquired artworks to their homes.